Swagelok® Grab Sampling Systems
Customizing Swagelok® grab sampling systems allows for safe, efficient sample capture while meeting your specific plant application needs. The panels are available in a variety of configurations and advanced features.Request More Information
Configurable, Local, Reliable Grab Sampling Panels for Gas and Liquid Service
We offer fully configurable, locally built and supported, and reliable grab sampling assemblies in a variety of configurations with advanced features intended to help you safely capture representative samples of liquid or gas from your process lines. Whether you want closed-loop sampling into pressure-rated sample cylinders or simply want to collect process fluid into lower-cost glass laboratory bottles for analysis, we offer ideal sampling panel options that are safe, intuitive, easy to maintain and can be ordered as a single part number.
Swagelok Grab Sampling Panels
Grab Sample Module
The Swagelok® grab sample module (GSM) is a closed-looped sampling system that pulls from a positive-pressure process and returns back to the process at a lower pressure location (e.g., upstream of a pump) by using differential pressure to drive the fluid through the system. Samples are deposited into durable, pressure-rated metal grab sampling cylinders (GSC) that prevent the sample from escaping, protecting operators.
Features of the GSM
- GSM panels feature a switching valve configuration with two or three Swagelok® 40G series ball valves, allowing for simultaneous control of fluid routing. These configurations reduce the number of steps required and give a clear indication of sequencing, reducing the likelihood of errors.
- A GSC is docked and process fluid is continuously circulated within to maintain process conditions. A GSC—available in various configurations—is required for every GSM system and should be ordered separately when purchasing a new GSM.
- The circuit draws a flow path that connects to the sampler then returns to the process or flare. The GSM can be left in the bypass or sample position indefinitely, keeping transport lines fresh and ready for sample capture.
- A rupture disc is an available option for every GSM system, and a relief valve can also be added to sampling systems where there is added overpressure concern. Each sampling system is built with Swagelok® tube fittings to reduce potential for leaks.
Grab Sample Liquid Systems
The Swagelok® grab sample liquid (GSL) is a liquid-only sampling system for drawing fluid into a non-pressure-containing bottle with a self-sealing septum cap in applications where the process fluid is not at risk of fractionating when stored at atmospheric pressure.
Features of the GSL
- Fixed-volume Swagelok GSL systems use the same switching valve as a GSM system to provide simplified operation for complex tasks. Like the GSM, GSL systems are assembled with Swagelok tube fittings to avoid the potential leak points of NPT fittings.
- The GSL can use lower-cost glass or polyethylene laboratory bottles to draw and store samples. Using bottles provides immediate feedback on the visual quality of the sample stream.
- Samples can be drawn and transported without the risk of spillage or evaporation. A spring-return handle on the sample drawing mechanism prevents unintentional dispensing.
Designed by Swagelok Engineers. Optimized for You.
All Swagelok grab sampling systems are designed to protect both your personnel and your profitability, then configured locally by fluid system specialists to meet your specifications.
Designed for Safety
Swagelok grab sampling systems separate the process pressure from the sample bottle and user, preventing overfilling and overpressure conditions. Our panels are also designed with features to minimize the opportunity for operator error, such as a spring-return handle on the sample draw mechanism of the GSL that prevents unintentional dispensing.
Designed for Ease of Use
Swagelok grab sampling systems are designed to reduce the number of sequencing steps required for sampling and are built for streamlined maintenance, as well. A switching valve configuration on GSM and fixed-volume GSL panels allows for simultaneous control of fluid routing and gives a clear indication of sequencing to the operator and components such as gauges can be isolated during maintenance to minimize downtime.
Designed for Reliable Results
Closed-loop GSM sampling panels provide fresh samples to cylinders that hold samples at the same process conditions that existed during sampling, giving confidence that the sample is representative. A GSL can use glass laboratory bottles that provide immediate feedback on the visual quality of a sample stream. All our grab sampling panels are assembled with Swagelok tube fittings, reducing potential leak points.
Convenient Standard Assemblies Configured to Meet Your Needs
Both GSM and GSL sampling systems panel types are available in fixed-volume versions that separate the process pressure from the sample bottle and user, preventing over-filling and overpressure conditions. This table provides a summary of common system criteria and the grab sampling system recommended for the listed combinations.
Swagelok grab sampling systems can be customized with a variety of accessories to suit your operations, including additional instrumentation, sample coolers, automation, exotic alloys, different mounting options, and more.
Local Assembly and Support. Reliable Solutions Built to Last.
Your local authorized Swagelok sales and service center team will work closely with you to determine the type of panel and the proper configuration to meet your sampling system needs. Each grab sampling panel will be built to your specifications at your local Swagelok sales and service center by experienced fluid systems technicians. All Swagelok grab sampling assemblies are rigorously tested and are backed by the Swagelok Limited Lifetime Warranty.
View our Application Guide
Locate detailed information about our assemblies.
Grab sampling is the collecting of a sample of fluid or gas in a system with the intent of transporting the sample to a laboratory for analysis. Use Swagelok application solutions to create fully documented fluid sampling and control systems and bring consistency to your operations.
Swagelok® Grab Sampling Evaluation and Advisory Services
Learn how our Swagelok® grab sampling evaluation and advisory services team can visit your facilities to help you improve operational performance, eliminate potential safety and environmental concerns, and achieve more representative samples on a regular basis.Find the Support You Need
Swagelok Resources Curated for You
Read about common challenges associated with volatile liquid and gas grab sampling and learn to overcome them by using the right techniques and appropriate equipment.
Discover several strategies to help drive down costs and minimize errors in your liquid grab sampling processes as you validate process conditions and analyze end product quality.
There are several common fluid systems that successful plant operation depends on, and outsourcing their fabrication can be highly beneficial if you are short on resources. Learn how it works.
Grab sample systems allow for safe, efficient sample captures—validating your product’s chemical composition. Learn how to improve your closed loop system’s reliability while reducing plant costs with basics from the experts at Swagelok.